August Match News
Looking at the results of the summer season we really should be incredibly proud of our 11 teams playing in the Dorset and H & IOW Leagues.
Men’s 1 – 4th in Div 2
Men’s 2 – 2nd in Div 4 promoted to Div 3
Men’s vets – 3rd in Div 1
Ladies 1 – 3rd in Div 1
Ladies 2 – 1st in Div 2 promoted to Div 1
Ladies 3 – 6th in Div 2 relegated to div 3
Ladies Vets – 1st in single division
Mixed 1 – 4th in Div 1
Mixed 2 – 1st in Div 3 promoted to Div 2
So next summer we will have 4 teams in Div 1, 2 teams in Div 2 and 2 teams in Div 3 not counting ladies vets where there is only 1 division.
H & IOW
Men’s – 2nd in Div 1
Ladies – 4th in Div 1 (matches to play)
Many teams in the leagues have given walkovers this summer but I’m proud to say that Southbourne have managed to avoid this.
Fixtures have now all been set for the winter season which commences on October 1st. We look forward to some good competitive tennis once again, and some good weather to play in ( although forecasters are already saying it’s going to be a harsh winter!)
Our captains do a fantastic job!
Men’s 1 – Patrick Brown
Men’s 2 – Owain Gosling
Men’s Vets – Richard Henshaw/ Nigel Carter
Men’s Hants & IOW – John Stevens
Ladies 1 – Cleo Reid
Ladies 2 – Helen Henshaw
Ladies 3 – Lena Chavez
Ladies Vets – Celia Barron
Ladies Hants & IOW – Cleo Reid
Mixed 1 – Kirsty Holmes
Mixed 2 – Lloyd Harkom
|Team||Match Dates||Team||Match Dates|
|LADIES 1||Tues May 14th v E Dorset 1 6.30pm A||LADIES 2||Tues Apr 2nd v Sthb 3 6.30pm H|
|Weds May 22nd v W. Hants 1 6.30pm A||Tues Apr 23rd v St Leon 1 6.30pm H|
|Tues June 4th v Milford 1 6.30pm H||Fri May 10th v Vic Ave 6.30pm H|
|Sun 23rd June v DLP A 5pm||Tues June 4th v E Dorset 2 A 6.30pm|
|Fri June 28th v DLR 1 7pm A||Sat June 22nd v DLP 2 2pm A|
|Sun July 21st v Dorch 1pm H||Tues July 23rd v Christchurch H 6.30pm|
|Tues Aug 13th v Milford 2 A 6.30pm|
|LADIES 3||Tues Apr 2nd v Sthb 2 6.30pm A||MENS 1||Weds May 15th v DLP 7pm A|
|Sat Apr 27th v Vic Ave 10.30am A pp||Sun May 26th v St Seb 11am A|
|Tues May 14th v Milford 2 6.30pm H||Tues June 4th v Vic Ave 1 6.30 A|
|Tues May 21st v St Leon 1 6.30pm H||Sun June 23rd v Milford 2 5pm H|
|Tues July 9th v DLP 2 6.30pm H||Sun July 21st v DLR 1 5pm H|
|Tues July 16th v E Dorset 2 H 6.30pm||Sun Aug 11th v St Leon 2 1pm H|
|Sun Aug 4th v Christchurch A 1pm||Sun Aug 19th v Wimborne A 6.30pm|
|MENS 2||Sun Apr 7th Ferndown 2 5pm H pp- 12/07||MENS VETS||Sat Apr 6th v Vic Ave 10.30am A pp-18/06|
|Tues Apr 30th v St Leon 5 6.30pm H||Weds Apr 24th v W Hants 6.30pm A|
|Thurs May 23rd v St Leon 4 6.30pm A||Sun May 12th v St Leon 1 5pm H|
|Sun June 16th v Christchurch 5pm H||Sun June 2nd v Sherborne 1pm H|
|Sun June 23rd v Winton 1pm H||Sun July 28th v E Dorset 1 10.30am A|
|Sun June 30th v Shaftesbury 10.30 A||Sun Aug 18th v E Dorset 2 5pm H|
|Sun July 7th v Dorch 2 2pm A|
|MIXED 1||Tues Apr 9th v DLR 1 6.30pm H pp- 9/07||MIXED 2||Tues May 7th v Winton 1 6.30pm H|
|Sat Apr 27th v Dorch 1 1pm A pp- 28/07||Sun May 26th v Shaftes 1pm H|
|Tues June 11th v W Hants 2 6.30 A||Tues June 11th v Swanage 1 6.30pm H|
|Tues June 18th v St Leon 1 6.30pm H||Tues July 2nd v DLR 2 6.30pm H|
|Tues July 16th v W Hants 1 6.30pm H||Sun July 28th v Lymington !0.30am A|
|Tues Aug 6th v E Dorset 6.30pm A||Sat Aug 3rd v Vic Ave 1 10.30am A|
|Tues Aug 13th v DLP 1 6.30pm H||Weds Aug 14th v Corfe Mullen 6.30 A|
|LADIES VETS||Tues Apr 23rd v E Dorset 6.30pm A||LADIES H&IOW||Sat June 8th v Winchester (A)H|
|Thurs May 16th v Milford 6.30pm A||Sun June 16th v Kingsgate (A) A|
|Tues May 28th v milford 6.30pm H||Sat Aug 10th v E Dorset H 1pm|
|Tues June 25th v W Hants 6.30pm H||Sat Aug 17th v Riverside H 1pm|
|Tues July 30th v E Dorset H 6.30pm H||Sat Aug 24th v Lee on Solent A|
|Tues Aug 6th v W Hants 6.30pm A|
|MENS H&IOW||Sat June 8th v Ryde A|
|Sat June 15th v Lee on Solent H|
|Sat July 6th v Winchester (A) A|
|Sat July 13th v Warsash H|
|Sun Aug 4th v Salisbury (A) H|
Southbourne Tennis Club – Team Ethos and Selection
- Southbourne Tennis Club aims to be a very friendly club open to players of all abilities.
- The club will aim to run enough teams for the number of members wishing to play in teams.
- The club will run a squad system for each of the teams.
- The squad will elect a captain at the start of each season.
- The club will always try and pick the best players for each squad.
- The squad will be chosen using the squad and match selection criteria.
- Where a squad is made up of very committed members with good availability a minimum of 6 players would be suitable. Where a squad comprises members with not such good availability a larger number of members may be required.
- Members wishing to be a member of any squad will be required to attend at least one pre-season selection evening.
- The selection of each squad will be made by head coach and the coaching team.
- All team members should be good ambassadors for Southbourne Tennis Club
- Team captains will choose the teams having regard to the good practice for teams captains criteria.
- Team players will have regard to the good practice for team players criteria.
Finally whilst putting our best teams out is important at Southbourne Tennis Club, having fun and enjoying tennis is paramount.
Good practice for Team Players
The club recognises that team players play an important part in club life.
- Always support you captain, especially with the sometimes difficult decisions they have to make.
- Let you captain know your availability and update monthly.
- Attend pre-season selection evenings
- Try and attend the Monday evening team training session when possible
- Pay match fees promptly to the team captain
- Try and take an active part in the running of the club
- Be a good ambassador for the club.
|20th July||All team and prospective team players to hand in team member details|
|31st July||Decision on number of teams to be entered in winter league.|
|13th September||Selection committee|
|1st October||Winter league begins|
|7th December||All team and prospective team players to hand in team member details|
|31st December||Decision on number of teams to be entered in summer league.|
|21st March||Team evaluation|
|14th March||Selection committee|
|31st March||Winter league ends|
|1st April||Summer league begins|
SQUAD AND TEAM SELECTION CRITERIA
Squads are needed so that we can cope with injuries, illnesses and squad members being away. Squads will therefore need to be made up of a minimum of 6 members.
Dorset League and H & IOW (Summer only)
We have 9 teams playing in the Dorset winter and summer leagues (2 pair); 2 Men’s, 3 Ladies, 1 Ladies and 1 Men’s vets, and 2 Mixed, all of whom are in high divisions so the standard is good. I Men’s and 1 Ladies, both in Div 1, play in the H & IOW League (3 pair)
Selection for the squads will be based on:
- Doubles success/experience at Senior Club level or other representative level
- Doubles results
- Flexibility to play with different partners and in a team environment
- Fitness to play at least 2 doubles matches (4 sets)
- General Availability
- Behaviour and attitude on and off court to maintain the good standing of Southbourne Tennis Club
A small committee will put together the Club’s squads taking advice from the Head coach and the existing captains.
During September there will be an opportunity for all club members who would like to be considered for a team to attend a team selection session. There will also be 2 evenings when Team captains will invite their squads to a match practice evening. Subsequently there will be discussions between team captains the match secretary and club coach to discuss squads.
It is the responsibility of the Captain of each squad to select players for each match.