Match Report Oct/Nov 2019
We’re 2 months into the winter season, and despite the pretty horrendous weather so far, we have managed to get a fairly large percentage of the fixtures played. Unfortunately it seems to be the season for “just being pipped at the post” as 5 matches have been so close that we have lost by just 1 set or even just a few games.
The season started with a fantastically close match between Men’s 1 and Men’s 2 – all square on rubbers but men’s 1 gained the victory by winning 1 extra set. Following on from this close defeat, Men’s 2 had an even tighter match against Swanage who beat them by just 2 games! Men’s 1 achieved a second victory against DLR.
Men’s vets have had a win against Milford, but lost to St Leonards 1.
Ladies 1 have had a brilliant start to the season and having won both matches they have played, and having a walk-over from DLR who could not get a team, are, at the moment, top of Division 1.
Ladies 3 have also had 3 good wins in Division 2 against St Leonard’s, East Dorset and DLP. A great start.
Ladies vets played a very tight match against West Hants losing by 1 set. The opposition had Pauline Fisher playing for them; Pauline was awarded the LTA Seniors Player of the Year award in 2017 and is a formidable player, so our team did very well to come so close.
Our 2 mixed teams have, unusually, had a slow start but I’m confident things will improve. Mixed 1 are in Division 1 and so competition is strong. They lost their 1st match v Milford (but just by 1 set) and mixed 2, who were promoted to Division 2 last winter, have lost their 1st 2 matches. Competition is great and we all love to win; however, taking part, representing the club and enjoying the tennis is the most important thing.
Our captains do a fantastic job!
Men’s 1 – Patrick Brown
Men’s 2 – Owain Gosling
Men’s Vets – Richard Henshaw/ Nigel Carter
Men’s Hants & IOW – John Stevens
Ladies 1 – Cleo Reid
Ladies 2 – Helen Henshaw
Ladies 3 – Lena Chavez
Ladies Vets – Celia Barron
Ladies Hants & IOW – Cleo Reid
Mixed 1 – Kirsty Holmes
Mixed 2 – Lloyd Harkom
|Team||Match Dates||Team||Match Dates|
|LADIES 1||S'BOURNE 2 TUES OCT 8TH H||LADIES 2||S'BOURNE 1 TUES OCT 8TH A|
|DLR TUES OCT 22ND H||VIC AVE SAT NOV 9TH 10.30 A|
|ST LEONARDS 1 WEDS NOV 13TH A||DLR FRI DEC 6TH 7PM A|
|BMTH GDNS SUN NOV 24TH 10am A||MILFORD 1TUE JAN 7TH H|
|DLP 1 SUN JAN 12TH 5PM A||ST LEONARDS 1 TUES JAN 28TH H|
|MILFORD 1 TUES JAN 21ST A||BMTH GDNS TUES FEB 24TH H|
|VIC AVE TUES FEB 11TH H||DLP 1 SUN MARCH 1ST 5PM A|
|LADIES 3||ST LEONARDS 2 TUES OCT 15TH H||MEN'S 1||S'BOURNE 2 SUN OCT 6TH A 5PM|
|E DORSET 2 THURS OCT 24TH A||E DORSET 2 SAT OCT 26TH A 10.30AM|
|DLP 2TUES NOV 19TH H||DLR 1 SUN NOV 3RD H 5PM|
|MILFORD 2 TUES DEC 3RD H||DORCHESTER SUN DEC 8TH H 1PM|
|SHILLINGSTONE SAT JAN 18TH 10.30 A||MILFORD 2 THURS JAN 16TH A|
|DORCHESTER SAT FEB 1ST 2PM A||DLP 1 SUN JAN 26TH A 1PM|
|E DORSET 1 TUES MAR 17TH H||SWANAGE 1 SUN FEB 2ND H 5PM??|
|MEN'S 2||S'BOURNE 1 SUN OCT 6TH H 5PM||MEN'S VETS||ST LEONARDS 1 SUN OCT 27TH H 5PM|
|MILFORD 2 SUN OCT 13TH H 5PM||MILFORD 1 SUN NOV 17TH A 10.30AM|
|SWANAGE 1 SUN NOV 10TH H 5PM ??||VIC AVE SUN JAN 5TH H 5PM|
|E DORSET 2 SAT NOV 30TH A 10 AM||E DORSET 2 THURS FEB 13TH A|
|DORCHESTER SAT DEC 14TH A 2PM||SHERBORNE SUN FEB 23RD A 11AM|
|DLP 1 SUN JAN 12TH H 5PM||E DORSET 1 SUN MARCH 1STH 2PM|
|DLR 1 FRI FEB 7TH A 7PM|
|MIXED 1||MILFORD 1 THURS OCT 17TH A||MIXED 2||DLP2 SUN OCT 20TH A 5PM|
|MILFORD 2 SAT NOV 9TH A 10.30AM||ST LEONARDS 2 TUES NOV 26TH H|
|ST LEONARDS 1 TUES DEC 3RD H||CORFE MULLEN SUN DEC 8TH 10.30 A|
|DORCHESTER SAT FEB 8TH A 2PM||HALE GARDENS TUES JAN 14TH A|
|DLR 1 TUES FEB 25TH H||E DORSET 2 THURS JAN 23RD A|
|E DORSET 1 TUES MARCH 3RD H||DLP1 TUES FEB 11TH H|
|W HANTS 1 TUES MARCH 10TH H||SWANAGE TUES MARCH 17TH H|
|LADIES VETS||W HANTS SUN NOV 3RD A 1PM|
|MILFORD THURS NOV 21ST A|
|FERNDOWN TUES DEC 10TH H|
|W HANTS TUES DEC 17TH H|
|MILFORD TUES JAN 14TH H|
|FERNDOWN SAT FEB 22ND A 10.30AM|
Southbourne Tennis Club – Team Ethos and Selection
- Southbourne Tennis Club aims to be a very friendly club open to players of all abilities.
- The club will aim to run enough teams for the number of members wishing to play in teams.
- The club will run a squad system for each of the teams.
- The squad will elect a captain at the start of each season.
- The club will always try and pick the best players for each squad.
- The squad will be chosen using the squad and match selection criteria.
- Where a squad is made up of very committed members with good availability a minimum of 6 players would be suitable. Where a squad comprises members with not such good availability a larger number of members may be required.
- Members wishing to be a member of any squad will be required to attend at least one pre-season selection evening.
- The selection of each squad will be made by head coach and the coaching team.
- All team members should be good ambassadors for Southbourne Tennis Club
- Team captains will choose the teams having regard to the good practice for teams captains criteria.
- Team players will have regard to the good practice for team players criteria.
Finally whilst putting our best teams out is important at Southbourne Tennis Club, having fun and enjoying tennis is paramount.
Good practice for Team Players
The club recognises that team players play an important part in club life.
- Always support you captain, especially with the sometimes difficult decisions they have to make.
- Let you captain know your availability and update monthly.
- Attend pre-season selection evenings
- Try and attend the Monday evening team training session when possible
- Pay match fees promptly to the team captain
- Try and take an active part in the running of the club
- Be a good ambassador for the club.
|20th July||All team and prospective team players to hand in team member details|
|31st July||Decision on number of teams to be entered in winter league.|
|13th September||Selection committee|
|1st October||Winter league begins|
|7th December||All team and prospective team players to hand in team member details|
|31st December||Decision on number of teams to be entered in summer league.|
|21st March||Team evaluation|
|14th March||Selection committee|
|31st March||Winter league ends|
|1st April||Summer league begins|
SQUAD AND TEAM SELECTION CRITERIA
Squads are needed so that we can cope with injuries, illnesses and squad members being away. Squads will therefore need to be made up of a minimum of 6 members.
Dorset League and H & IOW (Summer only)
We have 9 teams playing in the Dorset winter and summer leagues (2 pair); 2 Men’s, 3 Ladies, 1 Ladies and 1 Men’s vets, and 2 Mixed, all of whom are in high divisions so the standard is good. I Men’s and 1 Ladies, both in Div 1, play in the H & IOW League (3 pair)
Selection for the squads will be based on:
- Doubles success/experience at Senior Club level or other representative level
- Doubles results
- Flexibility to play with different partners and in a team environment
- Fitness to play at least 2 doubles matches (4 sets)
- General Availability
- Behaviour and attitude on and off court to maintain the good standing of Southbourne Tennis Club
A small committee will put together the Club’s squads taking advice from the Head coach and the existing captains.
During September there will be an opportunity for all club members who would like to be considered for a team to attend a team selection session. There will also be 2 evenings when Team captains will invite their squads to a match practice evening. Subsequently there will be discussions between team captains the match secretary and club coach to discuss squads.
It is the responsibility of the Captain of each squad to select players for each match.